Below you will find a letter from our new 21st century skills teacher, Mr. Nicholas Crowther. Reminder,this class will be offered to grades 3-6.
Hello,my name is Nick Crowther,and I will be your child’s 21st Century Skills teacher during the 2011-2012 school year. I have been a Penn Manor High School Technology Education Teacher for the past 3 years. I am excited to be expanding our program to involve the elementary level with an emphasis on developing 21st Century Skills to help our students to be successful in all areas.
21st Century Skills is a new program that has been added to the elementary curriculum in various grade levels. A successful pilot program was completed during this past year and we are excited to be able to offer this new opportunity for the 2011-2012 school year.
The 21st Century Skills will include teaching students to learn how to think critically and solve problems using the following Survival Skills for Careers,College and Citizenship:
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Adaptability (Open to New Possibilities)
- Initiative and Entrepreneurialism
- Effective Oral and Written Communication
- Accessing and Analyzing Information
- Curiosity and Imagination
- Building an erosion model to understand the soil erosion process
- Building a rainwater collection system to understand water conservation
- Creating a wind turbine to understand renewable energy resources
I am very excited to begin the school year and I am looking forward to the experience of working with the elementary students. I feel that this program has many valuable experiences to offer to students that will lay a solid foundation of practical knowledge for the rest of their academic career.